Angels Rest, Angels Rest Trailhead, Portland - Columbia River Gorge, Oregon
Angels Rest - 4.5 miles
Angels Rest Trailhead
|Round-Trip Length:||4.5 miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||115' - 1,588' (1,597' max elevation)|
|Elevation Change:||1,473' net elevation gain (+1,545' total roundtrip elevation gain)|
Angels Rest - 4.5 Miles Round-Trip
The Angels Rest Trail climbs 1473' in 2.25 miles to an exposed bluff on the west end of the Columbia River Gorge. This high, prominent point offers rangy views to many gorge landmarks that include Beacon Rock, Sand Island and the metro area.
A spur splits off to outcrops along the edges, and the main trail continues on with connections to the Fox Glove Trail and Wahkeena Trail.
Exceptional views, modest grades and proximity to Portland make this a busy destination - expect crowds, especially on clear days. No pass or fee is required to access the Angels Rest Trail:
The trail rises quickly to views of Coopey Falls (.4 miles : 420'), which drops an impressive 150' but can be obfuscated by fully-bloomed brush and timber. Steps ahead is a short spur down to the base of Upper Coopey Falls, a smaller but photogenic fan formation with close-up access.
It crosses a bridge just above the falls (.6 miles : 510') and winds steadily in a nondescript forest out of the Coopey drainage. The trail gradually steepens on short-leg switchbacks with expanding views through diminutive brush (1.6 miles : 1,240').
The forest breaks at a rock slide with good NW views (1.9 miles); follow cairns across and up to an unmarked fork on the spine of the bluff (2.1 miles : 1,597'). The main trail splits right, and the left fork leads to the edge of Angels Rest (2.25 miles : 1,588').
You'll have panoramic views from all three sides with an especially good look (west) down-river. Watch children closely, keep pets leashed and maintain a safe distance from cliff edges. Be especially careful on windy / wet days when exploring outcrops.
- N45 33.617 W122 10.361 — 0.0 miles : Angels Rest Trailhead
- N45 33.730 W122 09.905 — .4 miles : First view of Coopey Falls
- N45 33.694 W122 09.772 — .6 miles : Cross Coopey Creek bridge
- N45 33.700 W122 09.502 — 1.0 miles : Steady, winding climb
- N45 33.867 W122 09.306 — 1.6 miles : Steep switchbacks with river views
- N45 33.809 W122 09.239 — 1.9 miles : Cross open talus with views
- N45 33.812 W122 09.087 — 2.1 miles : Fork; go left to reach bluff
- N45 33.857 W122 09.187 — 2.25 miles : Angels Rest
- Keep a safe distance from potentially unstable cliff edges on Angels Rest.
- Bridal Veil Falls State Park is only .8 miles west of the Angels Rest Trailhead along the Historic Columbia River Highway.
Camping and Backpacking Information
Camping Rules and Regulations
- Group size is limited to 12 individuals or any combination of people and stock.
- Camp in established sites whenever possible. Sites are first come, first served. Some may be closed for restoration.
- Bury human waste 6-8" deep, at least 100' from any trail or water source.
- Campfires - Columbia River Gorge NSA: Campfires are permitted in the CRGNSA, with potential seasonal and area-specific restrictions. Up-to-date rules are posted at the trailhead and along the trail.
- Campfires - Mark O. Hatfield Wilderness: Campfires are not permitted June 1 - September 15 (peak season) along the Eagle Creek Trail from the wilderness boundary to the Eagle-Tanner Trail. Fires are permitted from September 16 - May 31 unless otherwise posted.
Rules and Regulations
- Dogs must be leashed at all times on the Angels Rest Trail.
- No fee or recreation pass is required to access the Angels Rest Trail.
Directions to Trailhead
Directions to Angels Rest Trailhead
Take I-84 Exit #28 / Bridal Veil. Follow the off ramp to the Columbia River Historic Highway and turn right. The parking lot for Angels Rest is immediately on the right (north) side of the road.
From Hood River:
Take I-84 Exit #35 / Ainsworth. Turn west on the Columbia River Historic Highway for 6.8 miles. The parking lot for Angels Rest is on the right (north) side of the road.
Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
902 Wasco Ave | Suite 200
Hood River, OR 97031
Hood River Ranger District
6780 Highway 35
Parkdale, OR 97041
Mt. Hood National Forest | Headquarters
16400 Champion Way
Sandy, OR 97055
Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:30a – 4:30p (closed 11:30 – 12:30)